The aloe vera plant grows in the gardens here in Portugal and it's just so pretty. Even more, it's a really versatile plant with so many benefits it should definitely win an award. In the northern countries where it's too cold to grow, you can buy it in health stores or online here and here. Aloe vera has been used in skin products forever, for good reasons.The sticky gel inside the plant contains around 96% water, protein, and vitamin A, B, C and E (1).
Aloe vera benefits
- It can help you with skin issues such as sunburns, scars, and cuts by just applying it directly
- It is anti-inflammatory which means that if you eat or drink aloe vera it may help with IBS or other digestive issues.
- If you struggle with constipation or bloating you can take one shot aloe vera each morning on an empty stomach and most likely you will notice the difference. Or, you can do like us and make a smoothie!
- It can help you against hair fall because it protects and repairs the skin on the scalp!
- It is said to aid you in reducing acne
- Mix it with some sea salt, and you have an amazing scrub that will leave your skin feeling baby soft
Aloe vera smoothie
(1 portion, 5-10 minutes)
- 1 dl raspberries
- 1/4 mango
- 2 frozen spinach cubes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup aloe vera cubes
- 1 dl almond milk
Mix it all together and top it with your favorite toppings. Here pictures with raw cacao, granola, and coconut flakes.