Is your New Years resolution to be more green? Here are 10 things you can do
Then we are right there with you! In the last two years, we have gone from big-time consumers to trying to incorporate a more eco-friendly lifestyle while still living a hectic life in a big city. We are by no means perfect, but every day we try to do our very best!
There are lots of small things that you can do in your everyday life that will definitely help the planet. The trick is finding something that you enjoy and that you can stick with for a long period of time. For us, food is the easiest part because we both love vegan food, but traveling is the hardest because it gives us so much in terms of health, knowledge, inspiration and of course visiting family. Rather than dwell on the negative, we would rather find solutions! For example, when we traveled to Costa Rica this winter, we both carbon offset our trip, stayed a month in one place and lived as eco-friendly as possible and cooperated with companies over there to help increase awareness.
So, how does one start? Here are 10 things that you can do already today!
- Eat green! Having a more plant-based diet is the single most effective way individuals can help reduce the worlds carbon footprint. How about trying a whole week with just vegan food? It’s so delicious!
- Recycle everything! That means you are creating less waste and making sure the resources that you use get a new life.
- No shopping for a month! Oh man this one might be hard with all the January sales going on, but trust us, you will feel so empowered by the end of the month and really start to appreciate and notice all the beautiful clothes you already have.
- Invest in a drinking bottle! This way you don’t have to buy any plastic bottles.
- Walk or use public transportation instead of using your car
- Sell the clothes you are not using anymore. In Norway, we have a great app called Tise where you can sell your clothes and furniture (it’s like Instagram just for clothes).
- Make a homemade facemask instead of buying one! This one is great: 1/3 banana, 1/3 avocado and 1/5 ts spirulina, mix it well and use it for about 10 minutes before washing it of.
- Make homemade oat milk! Check out our recipe here
- Take a walk in nature. It’s good for the soul and always makes us appreciate it more and remind us of why this is so important.
- Pick up trash! The streets are flooded with trash, especially plastic. The next time you see it on the street, pick up 5 items an share it with #5forhvalen on Instagram to inspire others to do the same!